A helpful checklist before you start moving to another state:
Moving to a new state can feel overwhelming, but using a checklist can reduce stress and help things go smoothly:
1. If you have children, research the schools and school districts in the area where you’re planning to move. A good education is priceless. For a solid, comprehensive resource, try: https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/
2. After you know which school district you want to be in, look for a professional REALTOR® to guide you to the right home for you and your family. (Note that not all real estate agents are REALTORS®. Both are licensed to sell real estate, but REALTORS® must subscribe to the REALTOR® Code of Ethics, created in 1913, to hold members to specific industry standards and requires them to put the interests of their clients above their own.) At Coldwell Banker Mulleady Realtors, we have strong local knowledge and decades of experience in northern Wisconsin to help you better understand your options: https://northwoodsrealty.com/
3. Ease the expense of moving by using the opportunity to declutter your current residence and decide what you really need to take with you. Use the three piles method: one pile to keep, one to donate to charities, and one to toss. If you’re moving for a new job, check with your employer to see if they cover a portion of the cost. Call a number of local movers and compare estimates. Read the reviews on your top choices, especially with the Better Business Bureau https://www.bbb.org/en/us
4. Don’t procrastinate on packing! Have a timeline in mind and start by packing non-essentials and out of season/holiday items first. Here’s a helpful plan: https://www.themovingblog.com/packing-timeline-for-moving/
5. As soon as you have a move-in date, contact local utilities and schedule them to be connected. Call or go online to have your existing utilities canceled the day after moving day.
6. Forward your mail with a stop at your local http://usps.com
7. Get your new driver’s license and your new DMV office. https://www.dmv.org/
8. Learn as much as you can about the area you’ll soon call home! Moving to northern Wisconsin? We welcome you Up North! Here is a list of our local Chambers of Commerce with links to their comprehensive websites: https://northwoodsrealty.com/community-events/
9. For tax purposes, you’ll need to establish your legal domicile in your new state. For Wisconsin, check here: https://www.wisconsin.gov/Pages/Home.aspx
10. Pets? Check local ordinances to see if you need to register your pet.
Know that at Coldwell Banker Mulleady Realtors, we’re not only here to help you find the right home, but to guide you on the journey there!