Big St. Germain Lake
|Clarity: 3m||Depth: 42 ft||Size: 1622 Acres||Type: Drainage||Access: Public|
Big St. Germain Lake (known simply as Big Saint) offers 1617 acres of water and has a depth of 42’ . It is a drainage lake. Two lakes are connected to Big Saint, Lake Content and Fawn Lake. The Big St. Germain River flows out of the lake and into the Rainbow Flowage/Wisconsin River.
Big Saint has a fascinating history. The first white settlers in the area were French fur traders. They arrived around 1660 and the traders were all supposed to be selling their wares back to France but many found it more lucrative to sell to the Hudson Bay Company. The Governor of the territory west of Lake Michigan was so angry at this illegal trade that he summoned all fur traders back to Ottawa and revoked their licenses to trade. One of the traders who did not return to Ottawa was Jean Francois St Germaine who had since married an Indian Maiden who was a part of the Lac du Flambeau Band of Ojibwa. He decided to stay with the tribe. In 1857, the US Government sent surveyors to the area and noted St. Germain Lake (now Big St. Germain Lake) and were told by local members of the Lac du Flambeau tribe that the lake was named after a beautiful Indian Princess.
The lake has a great boat launch on the north shore of the lake off of Big St. Germain Drive. There are bars and restaurants on the lakes. Fibbers is on the north shore and they have a nice dinner menu. Clear View Supper Club is the best place in the Northwoods for prime rib. It is that good. Sisters Saloon has an interesting menu if you are looking for something a bit different.
Big Saint offers great musky fishing. Some trophy northerns can be taken there too. There is an island in the west central part of the lake that is a popular place to swim and enjoy the sun but it is also a good place to fish for panfish early in the season.